Glenside Ecological Services Limited
SPATIAL ANALYSIS AND MAPPING
Glenside has full in-house GIS capability for mapping and spatial analysis. Through comprehensive desktop analyses field work can scoped to maximize efficiency and product. Through modelling and spatial analysis, Glenside provides valuable insight into ecoological functions such as wildlife movement patterns and habitat suitibility. The following is a list of some of the services that Glenside provides, and techniques that have been utilized in past contracts.
Through the utilization of existing vector and rastor (aerial photography, satellite imagery) datasets, sites are analyzed and features delineated and interpreted to scope field work and maximize effeciency and product.
- Forest compartment identification, delineation and composition;
- Wetland and vegetation community delineation and typing;
- Watershed/waterflow delineation, and aspect and slope calculation;
- Buffer and setback application, and opportunity/constraint analysis;
Modelling and Data Analyses
Glenside geospatial analyses capabilities provide the necessary tools for the investigation of ecological functions such as the following:
- Species habitat modelling;
- Circuit theory analysis to model wildlife movement patterns;
- Nearest point analysis to determine habitat correlations;
- Neighbouring polygon analysis to determine habitat diversity;
- Habitat quality assessment through an analysis of representation, condition and diversity;
- Slope and aspect analysis using Digital Elevation Models;
- Management of attributes via seamless integration with Microsoft Access databases and geodatabases.
Using ArcGIS, ArcPad and Trimble GPS units, Glenside georeferences and verifies natural features in the landscape. Ground verification includes:
- Field data collected in point, polyline and polygon shape file format;
- Habitat sampling and delineation;
- Transect and stratified point sampling;
- Feature identification and geo-referencing.
Trail Mapping and Layout Development
Field physiology provides valuable insight into the ecology of our natural environment. Investigative techniques utilized by Glenside include:
- Trail mapping using a professtional grade GPS unit with real time correction;
- Trail layout development including consultation, preliminary desktop analyses, ground verification and marking;
- Production of trail maps for trailhead signage, brochures and websites.
2490 Horseshoe Lake Road, Minden, Ontario K0M 2K0
Tel: 705-286-3181 | Email:firstname.lastname@example.org | Web: www.glenside-eco.ca