Glenside Ecological Services Limited
The following details some of the recent wetland projects Glenside has undertaken:
Ontario Nature/ Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry/ Lake Associations/ Private Landowners
- Evaluated and identified as Provincially Significant the following wetland complexes: Milburn Wetland Complex, Percy Lake Wetland Complex, Lochlin Wetland Complex, Horseshoe Lake Wetland Complex, Pine Springs Wetland Complex, Esson Lake
Wetland Complex, Jack Lake Wetland Complex;
- Interpreted high resolution digitial aerial imagery, identified, typed and complexed wetlands in accordance with the Ontario Wetland Evaluation System (OWES);
- Conducted field assessment of identified wetlands to verify boundaries and wetland type, collect soil samples, and delineate and profile vegetation communities;
- Conducted scoped inventories for targeted Species at Risk;
- Developed geodatabase of vegetation communities, wetland units, soils, catchment basin and Species at Risk observations for integration into LIO/NHIC;
- Compiled full OWES data record.
Township of Dysart et al/ Private Landowners/ Non-government Organizations
- Conducted ground verification of wetland mapping for planning purposes;
- Compiled available spatial data and conducted data gap analysis;
- Defined wetland edge in accordance with the Ontario Wetland Evaluation System;
- Geo-referenced wetland edge using GPS system with sub-metre accuracy;
- Developed maps and geodatabase for integration into clients GIS systems.
Blanding's Turtle Habitat Delineation
Haliburton Highlands Land Trust/ Ontario Species at Risk Stewardship Fund (OSARSF)
- Correlated Blanding's Turtle observations with wetland habitat;
- Interpreted high resolution aerial imagery and accurately delineated wetland boundaries;
- Complexed and typed wetlands in accordance with the Ontario Wetland Evaluation System;
- Identified over 5000 ha and 92 wetland complexes of confirmed Blanding's Turtle habitat.
Kushog Lake Watershed: Wetland and Stream Desktop Analysis
Kushog Lake Property Owners Association
- Digitally delineated all wetland boundaries using high resolution aerial imagery, surface models, topography and other base data;
- Remotely typed wetlands using high resolution aerial imagery;
- Prioritized wetlands for further investigation based on size, known occurrences of Species at Risk and/or wetland type;
- Produced a map depicting wetlands and wetland type, and summarized findings with recommendations for further studies;
- Results to be integrated into the Kushog Lake/ Lake St. Nora Lake Plan.
Integrating Enhanced Wetland Mapping into the Municipal Planning Process
Ducks Unlimited Canada
- Facilitated the integration of new wetland policy and mapping with existing natural heritage policy and mapping;
- Analyzed municipal policies for Provincially Significant Wetlands and other wetlands;
- Identified barriers preventing municipalities from adopting the new mapping and developed approaches to overcome those barriers;
- Determined if the DUC Interim Protocol for Use (of wetland mapping) met the needs of the municipalities.
2490 Horseshoe Lake Road, Minden, Ontario K0M 2K0
Tel: 705-286-3181 | Email:firstname.lastname@example.org | Web: www.glenside-eco.ca